Retired administrators who were former OPC Members can apply for Term membership to receive Protective Services coverage while in supply administrator positions. It is important to note that Protective Services coverage is not provided to those with Associate status.

Term membership applies to work up to the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (OTPP) limit during a school year (September-August). If you work beyond the end of the month in which you reach that limit, you can extend your coverage, however, full membership fees will become payable.

New: 50-day limit extended to 95 days for some re-employment

For the period September 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023, the re-employment limit has been extended to 95 days if all re-employment beyond the end of the month in which you exceed the 50-day limit meets all the following three conditions:
  1. You are employed directly by a school board in Ontario, the Provincial Schools Authority, the Centre Jules-Léger Consortium,  a designated private school that operates on a reserve, or a designated organization that operates on a reserve
  2. You work in a school (includes virtual, online and remote).
  3. The position requires you to hold valid teaching certification from the Ontario College of Teachers or Ministry of Education (e.g., teacher, vice-principal, principal, guidance counsellor, librarian in a publicly-funded school).

If you meet all these conditions, you can work until the end of the month in which you exceed the 95-day limit during this period, without affecting your pension. 

Your pension will be suspended if even one of these conditions is not met, or if you exceed the 50-day limit by the end of June 2023 and continue working in July or August.

50-day limit remains for other re-employment

There is no change to the current re-employment limit of 50 days if you do not meet all the conditions above. You can work until the end of the month in which you exceed your 50-day limit without affecting your pension.

Apply within 30 calendar days of the start of your first term position of the school year to receive retroactive coverage. The Term membership application form should be sent to Membership Services by fax, email or post.

For more information about Term membership, please see the information sheet.

Please see the OTPP website for further information.